Thursday, October 2, 2008

The hand towel that wouldn't knit itself

When I started this blog I thought knitting projects would be a major component of my posts. Only I was working on one project at the time, and for months afterward. It's a hand towel in a cool moss grid pattern from the the first Mason-Dixon Knitting book. Don't get me wrong. I love the way the pattern looks, once knitted. But while knitting...I can't tell you how many stitches I had to pick back until I discovered where I had gone wrong, how many rows I ripped out, and how often I just didn't want to pick up this project and start knitting because I had to pay attention to every stitch and mark off every row. I guess I like to knit on auto-pilot. But still, I love this moss grid pattern. 

Here is the towel in March. 



Here it is in September. Finished. Finally. 




Now that this is behind me, I've begun a project with a much simpler pattern (stockinette stitch I love you). It is a wrap to wear over my wedding dress in case it is chilly on Nov. 8. (The average high for that date in Manteo, North Carolina is 65 degrees. If I knit the wrap it will be warm. If I knit the wrap it will be warm.) 

This is a very deadline-driven project. It will also be the first wearable item that I've knitted that isn't a hat or a scarf, but fortunately the ladies at Knitting Addiction have come up with an easy pattern just for me. No sleeves! No keeping track of rows! No difficult patterns! Will I make it in time? 

No comments: